Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default building jeep frame

Tim Wescott wrote:

My dad used to brag that with posi-trac and careful driving he could get
his '59 El Camino stuck in places where the four wheel drive brush rigs
(with less intrepid drivers) couldn't even get close to pull him out.

Early 80's, I had a 510 Datsun 4 door. I'd once looked through the
Datsun racing parts catalog, and saw the suspension kit for rally cars.
Well, never bought the kit, but I did fit 14" Z wheels which gave a good
bit more ground clearance. I used to drive all over the woods with it.
One nice summer day, I'm crawling along a rocky trail, sunglasses on,
Coke in one hand with my elbow out the window, Led Zeppelin blaring on
the stereo. Around the corner comes a string of Jeeps, out doing some
manly 4x4 trailing.

The look on their faces at the sight of my 510 was priceless...

I did get myself in trouble once on a trail too steep to back up. I
walked down and saw there was a nice flat area to turn around and get a
run back. But there was some major erosion in between. Getting down was
no problem, but it took about an hour of filling the ruts with rocks and
branches to get back out.

Jon