Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default Self Levelling Screed

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:51:33 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

wrote:
I'd appreciate advice.

I'm refurbishing my conservatory. The floor is concrete but is not
universally flat because of an inexpertly filled in channel for pipes,
wiring etc. I'd like to lay either carpet tile or textured vinyl
tiles. Does anyone here have experience on the successfulness (or
otherwise) of self leveling screeds?

TIA
JonH

Not very succesful IME.

If I wanted to do it again I would lay down battens a few mm up and
level the top of those, and fill the boxes scraping off the top to get
it all level.

relying on its alleged natural propensity to level didn't work for me.

It really doesn't have a natural propensity to 'level' at the correct
dilution. It has a natural propensity to 'flatten'. You level it
first with a float. It should be called 'Self Flattening Screed' IMHO.

R.