Posted to alt.home.repair
MICHELLE H. MICHELLE H. is offline

Default Oily Water Turned Soil Gray!!!

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the helpful responses so far, I really do appreciate it!!
Someone asked me if I "SCRUBBED the dish soap into the oil spot". No,
when I used the Dawn dish soap, I DIDN'T scrub it in. I just swept up
all of the oil soaked kitty litter, and then put some Dawn dish soap
over the oil spot, when it was raining.

Also, I DIDN'T "mash" the kitty litter in with my foot, as the previous
poster suggested. I just poured the kitty litter over the puddle of oil,
let it sit for a few hours, and then swept it up, and disposed of it in
the trash. I will have to try "mashing it in with my foot" next time.

I am not sure if the kitty litter is what turned the soil Grey, because
I used a bag of "Johnny Cat" kitty litter which is White in color.

But I will follow your suggestions and keep putting kitty litter there,
and "mash it in with my foot", to try to dry the oil spot up, so that
when it rains, there is no more "rainbow colored" water.

Hopefully I can just topdress the lawn with some compost or even organic
topsoil, when the weather warms up ( its in the 40's in my area ), and
reseed, and hopefully the grass will come back!?