Posted to alt.home.repair
Ivan[_8_] Ivan[_8_] is offline

Default Pushbutton Wall Switch

Thanks. The Hubbell seems slightly different, a similar shape but a
rocker rather than a pushbutton. Luckily, I found another of the
original switches, which I had replaced with an X10 wallswitch,

The original switch was a Rodale Touchette, but there seems to be
nothing left of Rodale Mfg except an EPA superfund site.

And my wiring is all coopper.

Thanks,

On Jan 20, 7:12*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Jan 20, 4:51 pm, N8N wrote:
On Jan 20, 4:48 pm, willshak wrote:

Ivan wrote the following:
My house, built in 1960, has several wallswitchesactuated by
rectangular pushbuttons that fit the same switchplates as normal
toggleswitches. *One switch is now sticking.
Any idea how I can fix it?
And who sells replacements? (Home Depot does not)
I can't picture square buttons in a standard toggle switch plate. You
mean there are two small square buttons in the 3/8ths inch by 1" hole in
the switchplate?
no, I know exactly what he's talking about. *It's an ivory (or other?)
colored single pushbutton, the exact size and shape of the hole in a
traditional toggle switch cover plate. *Push on, push off.

My suggestion would be to buy a good toggle switch in the same color
as the otherswitcheswhile searching for a replacement, 'cause I
suspect it's going to take a while. *If the OP is not enamored of the
old school flavor of the house, a 10-pack of spec grade toggle
switchesis likely under $20 at a good electrical supply, and then he
can sell the still-workingswitchesthat he removed and replaced on
eBay.

nate

Oh, forgot to mention. *Would be worth checking before driving to the
electrical supply to determine what the wiring material is in said
house. *I believe that 1960 falls within the period where Al wiring
was sometimes used in residential construction; if this is the case,
the OP needs to make sure that the newswitchesthat he purchases are
Cu/Al rated - most are not. *The other option is to pigtail all the
wiring with copper, using Cu/Al rated wire nuts and the special
magical paste.

Completely as an aside, does anyone know when it ceased being common
practice for the individual conductors in a cable to be tinned for
soldering? *I've got a mix of both in my house (1948/49 vintage.) *The
BX and 14/3 NM is pretinned, while the 14/2 is not.

nate

this was bugging me enough to do some research myself... *Hubbell
PresSwitch seems to be similar to but not exactly the same as the ones I
remember

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/Press/...g/page0153.pdf

does this help?

nate