Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF Clamps on Sale

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 06:57:30 -0500, the infamous eclipsme
scrawled the following:

On 2/28/2010 12:03 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:16:27 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

Subject:
96213-0VGA
When this one really goes on sale, grab a dozen.

I like the 6-inchers, the 24-inchers, and the 36-inchers and have
bought several dozen of them when on sale for as low as $1.50 each.
I love it!

I know this may be nixing apples and oranges but how do these compare to
the Bessys?

I've toyed with Bessey clamps (at stores and in friends' shops) and
they're OK, but I have never seen the need to spend more for a tool
than I need to and have always bought HFs, always on sale.

All my clamps are cheapies and, other than the occasional mark left
when I used too thin a pad, I've had no problems with them. Bar, C,
quickclamps (one early HF model was bogus, so one got tossed), pipe.
All are imports and all work as stated. Spray a bit of lube on the
threads, run them up and down half a dozen times to get the burrs off,
and you're good to go for years. Not a prob.

With about 50 clamps, compared to Besseys, I'm easily $1,000 ahead.
($1.50-$5 each vs. $25 each) That's a lot of tools-worth.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)