Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk basilisk is offline

Default Timber sizes

On 02/27/2010 10:34 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:17:02 -0600, the infamous "basilisk"
scrawled the following:

American lumber standards has changed the dressed sizes
of timbers larger 7 inches to be 3/4's inch smaller than
nominal size.

8x8's that used to be dressed to 7.5x7.5 inches will
now be 7.25x7.25.

Just passing this along.

http://www.alsc.org/greenbook%20collection/ps20.pdf

That document is PS 20-05, as in 2005 printing date. There is no
change _today_ to the (diminishing) size of dimensional lumber as we
know it.

The grading agencies operating
under ALSC are just now pushing this into the mills.

I have no idea why it has taken 5 years to reach the mill level,
but I will give Timber Products Inspection(agency I work under)
a call Monday and try to find out what the process is.

I "think" these changes come from NIST and are passed to ALSC and
then to the grading agencies for comments and gripes all along
the chain of production and regulation, quasi govt. beauracracy
at it finest.

basilisk