Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default Self Levelling Screed

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:33:01 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Sunday 28 February 2010 16:35

wrote:
I'd appreciate advice.

I'm refurbishing my conservatory. The floor is concrete but is not
universally flat because of an inexpertly filled in channel for pipes,
wiring etc. I'd like to lay either carpet tile or textured vinyl
tiles. Does anyone here have experience on the successfulness (or
otherwise) of self leveling screeds?

Tim will be along in a moment I'm sure - he has done tons of screeding
recently IIRC.

Yes. I have heard what Bruce says to be true of some of the gunk sold.

If the floor is dry (ie there is a functioning DPM in there) then the one
true answer by my own experience is:

F Ball Stopgap 300 HD. You would need P131 (probably) to prime the existing
floor. Try to do a single pour to get at least 3-5mm (5mm flows better than
3mm, but I have done a 21m2 floor to 3mm to within +/- 1mm or so in a single
pour with help).

You can buy it from he

http://yorkflooringsupplies.co.uk/st...131-p-295.html
http://yorkflooringsupplies.co.uk/st...-hd-p-291.html

IME you *must* have this:

http://yorkflooringsupplies.co.uk/co...0cm-p-409.html
(or the smaller version).

Removing air bubbles sounds fancy, but the other effect is it helps the
mobility of the fluid to achieve self levelling.

F Ball Ltd seems to be the business, although I have used the Wickes
Master
stuff (which think is made by them). Do check the sell by dates on the
Wickes stuff though, I've had a bad experience with an out of date batch.

As Bruce says, it needs a little work with a float and works in thin
layers, but its easy enough to do.

The approach I used (from this forum) was:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...or/2009-10-03-
img_0023.jpg.html

Sorry, not a clear picture. It's a T bar of 2x1" wood with 3 round head
screws set 3mm out from the edge of the bar. This allows you to push the
material around to about the right level quickly and from a standing
position.

You also need a big bucket and a power mixer (drill type OK for 2 bags,
plasters mixer will do 3 bag mix). Mix in the middle of the pour area if
pouring a lot.

HTH

Tim

Tim: