Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.microcontrollers.8bit,sci.electronics.misc
[email protected] news@jecarter.us is offline

Default MikroElektronica experimenteer board

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:41:38 -0500, "Stan Starinski"
wrote:

I am really against Mikroelektronika and the fact their IDE is not free,
unlike Microchip MPLAB IDE.

I would suggest Microchip ICD3, MPLAB IDE, and QL200 as development board
UNLESS that board is not using MPLAB + C18 which I don't know yet.
I just stick with manufactuer's own solutions, not Mikroelectronika and
their Basic or Pascal language.

Are you SERIOUS?
Basic is a TOY language. It's only good for non-critical and small
projects, and VisualBasic is only good for creating GUI and simple
scripts/automation.
Anything complicated written in Basic is prone to bugs and failures, it's
unfit for industrial applications.

On the contrary, C language is used to create OTHER languages and whole
operating systems and is a de-facto standard for critical apps.
It's clear why you and some others choose Mikroelektronika dev board and
their lame Basic compiler/interpreter - simplicity.

OK if simplicity is the goal and you're not a professional engineer, go with
it.

But if you want to be a professional - drop Basic for embedded design today.
Start learning C language.

Get off your throne: "C is better" must have the proper qualifiers.

I used C on PDP 11/70 (UNIX), OS/9 (multi-user on a 1MHz 6809), and
80x86 platforms. I used assembly on PDP 11/70 (UNIX), 6809, and Z80.
I've also used *good* compiled BASIC on multiple platforms.

In the days of Turbo Basic and Turbo C on the PC, the compiler engine
was the same, the only difference was the front end. If there are
equivalent quality compilers for both languages on a given platform,
BASIC usually beats C in development speed - no need to write a
"middle of the string" function because the assembly version is
already in the BASIC compiler.

John

retired AT&T / Bell Labs "skunk works" programmer