Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How many wires in a thermostat

Steve Barker wrote in
news
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

Mine ended up with 9. But the newer stuff can be wireless if you wish.
Also, there's options for running the newer stuff with 4.

Ahh, just drop a length of OC-768 and be done with it. Should be good for
a while :-)