Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Help - fridge is dying fast

On Feb 26, 10:31*pm, " wrote:
Hi,

I posted last week about our GE Profile fridge starting to lose its
cooling power. *Well, we decided to order new appliacnes and they are
coming next Friday March 5th.

In the meantime the fridge has some hot spots by the door - where the
magnetic strips connect to the fridge. *Not the doors themselves, but
the front part of the fridge. *It is really hot in some places and I'm
worried it is a fire hazzard. *This has been coming on for a while now
that I think about it because I noticed it was getting warm in front
of the fridge going back several months now.

How can I turn this fridge off?

I can't wheel it out and unplug it. *It's too big for me and I have a
bad shoulder right now.

If I turn the thermostats down as warm as it will go would that do it?

I'm thinking we will just keep the milk outside in a cooler for now
and chuck the rest of the food and wait for the new fridge to come on
Friday. *Either that or call the appliance store and see if they can
rush the new fridge.

It's dying fast. *I just checked and now the fridge compartment is at
52 degrees. *It was at 50 a few minutes ago.

The ice maker stopped working as well.

Would appreciate any advice on how to shut this baby down. *I guess a
look at the new fuse box they installed when they did our kitchen
might be a good idea.

Steve

Its the defroster, probably the clock timer broke in the on position
if it doesnt cool down, thats why its to warm, is there a switch
inside for energy saver mode, if not the clock is probably in the
refrigator section, mine broke in the on position, it would not cool
either. Check it after maybe 12 hours to see if its still hot, maybe
it does cycle but the element is going bad, an amp meter would tell
you alot.