Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default 120hz versus 240hz

Meat Plow wrote in message ...
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:32:38 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
First, the only televisions that use LEDs use OLEDs. There are none
using
conventional LEDs.

Second, there are no strict definitions of what these refresh rates
mean.
In
some cases, the set generates an interpolated image at that rate, in
others,
a blank (black) raster is inserted. Some sets combine both.

I don't like this enhancement (which was one of the reasons I bought a
plasma set). It has a nasty side-effect -- it makes motion pictures look
like video. This might be fine for a TV show; it isn't when you're
watching
movies. Be sure that whatever set you purchase has some way of defeating
it
the enhancement.

You need to actually look at the sets you're considering with program
material you're familiar with.

Seconded on all counts, and also the reason that I recently bought a
plasma
TV (Panasonic, 50" full HD panel, 400Hz). I have not seen a single thing
about this TV that I don't like so far, unlike the LCD TVs that I have in
the house, and the LCDs that cross my bench for repair, all of which
suffer
from motion artifacts, scaling artifacts, and motion blur ...

This plasma TV has produced absolutely stunning HD pictures from the
Winter
Olymics, with not the slightest sign of motion artifacts of any
description,
even on the fastest content like downhill skiing, and bobsleigh etc. In
contrast, the same content that I have seen on LCDs, has been perfectly
dreadful.

Arfa

Maybe I'm not picky but those motion artifacts just aren't important
enough for me to want to spend thousands on something that doesn't
produce them. I have a fairly cheep 32" and while it does produce some
artifacts they are insignificant to the overall performance.

But the point is that you no longer have to pay thousands to get that
performance. The plasma that I recently bought was little more to buy than a
'good' LCD, but the performance is easily a whole order of magnitude higher.
CRT sets did not suffer from motion artifacts, and I wasn't prepared to
'downgrade' my viewing experience by buying something which did. The LCD
that I have in my kitchen, also 32" and also 'fairly cheap', does suffer
from motion artifacts which are particularly noticeable on high speed stuff
like the winter olympics. I actually do find these significant and annoying,
and I would not consider having to put up with such a picture on my main TV.
Fortunately, the latest generation of affordable plasmas, means that I don't
have to :-)

Arfa