Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default gas fires that have no flue

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"js.b1" wrote:

The problem with a flueless gas fire is...
- Ventilation requirements likely exceed the heat output capability

I'm not understanding this. Maybe it is our 'common language'. Is
'flueless' the same as 'ventless'? In the US a ventless has no
requirement for outside air.

I imagine so, however secondary ventilation is often needed in the uk. A
flueless gas fire in the UK has no flue or vent but there is a reqirement
for a ventilation hole elsewhere in the room to allow fresh air in.

- Water output is high, not unlike an LPG bottle radiant heater

My 30K BTU heater has never steamed up any windows. A pot of
spaghetti on the stove puts out more moisture.

Of course. You are boiling water on the stove and creating extra moisure.
Even lighting the stove with no pot on will create some moisture as a by
product of the burning process.

For me, the moisture that is added by an LPG fire is welcome- as it is
a struggle to keep the humdity as high as 38 in my NE US winters.

Many house in the UK suffer from damp and extra moisture is not welcome. New
build houses in the UK are often air presure tested and need to meet
specific targets to stop the natural ingress of air.

A little bit of water between us makes a big difference to a common
language.

Adam