Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Timber sizes

On 2/26/10 12:26 PM, basilisk wrote:
I don't know how old that is, but the 2x's that I get, 8" and above, have
been -3/4" for as long as I can remember.

So yeah, maybe it's the square stuff.

You are right, 2x and 4x over 8 inches wide
have been dressed 3/4 inch under nominal
since the late 1960's I believe.

basilisk

About 15 years ago (wow, has it been that long), when I built our first
home, I used a local sawmill for the wood for our Sharn (too big for a
shed, too small for a barn).

It was all green white pine and the joists were cut to nominal sizes...
still 1.5", but the 8's were 8" and the 10's were 10". It was strange,
but fun to see that.

Two things I distinctly remember...
1) they were straight as an arrow and a joy to work with.
b) IIRC, they shrank less than a 1/4" in the depth.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--