Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Timber sizes

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 2/26/10 11:16 AM, Mark & Juanita wrote:
basilisk wrote:

American lumber standards has changed the dressed sizes
of timbers larger 7 inches to be 3/4's inch smaller than
nominal size.

8x8's that used to be dressed to 7.5x7.5 inches will
now be 7.25x7.25.

Just passing this along.

http://www.alsc.org/greenbook%20collection/ps20.pdf

basilisk

Is this only timbers and not dimension lumber?

Give it a few years and you're going to have to order a 7 x 7 to get a
6x6.

I don't know how old that is, but the 2x's that I get, 8" and above, have
been -3/4" for as long as I can remember.

So yeah, maybe it's the square stuff.

You are right, 2x and 4x over 8 inches wide
have been dressed 3/4 inch under nominal
since the late 1960's I believe.

basilisk