Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default 120hz versus 240hz

Sylvia Else wrote in message
On 26/02/2010 7:41 PM, N_Cook wrote:
Sylvia wrote in message
On 26/02/2010 9:51 AM, Chris wrote:
I am considering the purchase of an LED television. However, before I
do, I would like to know what the difference is between 120& 240hz;
other than the numbers. I've done some research, but there seems to be

wide array of conflicting opinions. I know that it has to do with
refresh rate, jitter, and blur. So, if anyone has some straightforward
input on the matter, I'm all (grateful) ears.

Thanks

An alien with 240Hz eyes might appreciate[*] the higher frequency
version, but unless you're such an alien living on Earth incognito,
don't waste your money.

Sylvia.

[*] Ignoring the fact that colour displays are finely tuned to the way
that human colour vision works, and an alien would likely wonder what
we'd been smoking.

Ah that explains why I cannot watch these things for more than a few
minutes, I'm an alien. Would anyone know what the equivalent refresh

rate is
for good old CRT technology ? As far as fast movement across the image

is
concerned, motion jitter or judder or whatever the term is. What refresh
rate would have to be there before I cannot tell the difference between

that
part of the technologies?

CRT TVs refresh at 50Hz or 60Hz (near enough) depending on region.

Since a TV program will only contain images (interlaced) at that rate -
or frequently less - a TV that purports to offer a higher refresh rate
will have to create the extra images by some kind of interpolation. If
it does a bad job, then the result will be unwatchable regardless of how
high the refresh rate is.

Sylvia.

Perhaps its a PAL/NTSC thing. Whatever it is all the LCD TVs I've looked at
with plenty of action/movement on the screen ,I find as irritating as those
digital overlain adverts on hoardings around the sides of TV coverage of
football/soccer viewed on CRT TV. But I don't watch soccer so thats no
problem to me

To the OP , my advice.
Never buy a TV that the seller will only display cartoons on. Try viewing a
source showing plenty of greens and dark sections of images and of course
fast cross-screen mobvement examples.