Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design
Jon[_12_] Jon[_12_] is offline

Default generator problem

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Jon wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
I'm trying to wire a transfer circuit for a generator.

The generator will be located in the barn. The electrical service is
at
the house. Two 120vac wires and a ground go to the barn. There is
*one*
unused wire from the house to the barn I can use for a signal circuit.

When the power goes off at the house, I need to disconnect the service
prevent backfeed and activate for generator power to both the house
and
the barn. When the service power goes on I need to disconnect the
generator to avoid damaging it and restore normal service to the house
and the barn.

I have,

*one 240vac 60 amp dpdt mercury relay
*two 120vac 60 amp 3pdt relays.

Any ideas?

Jon Giffen

1: Dig a trench, lay some cable, do it 'right'.

2: Do an enormous science project, and plan on buying more relays.

One way I can think of to do this is to have the generator in the barn
set
up to disconnect the _barn_ on power loss, then start itself up. Power
the
one wire (against the 120V neutral reference) with what the generator
produces. Then up in the house, use the absence of street power and
the
presence of generator power to switch off the street and onto the
generator.

You could complicate this further to automatically switch the generator
off, but you're already looking at a mad scientists dream; were I to do
this (I'd dig the @$%# trench) I'd just plan on _walking_ out to the
barn
after the street lights come on and shutting things down manually.

If you're smart you'll check your local codes very carefully before
proceeding -- home generator setups that inadvertently apply power back
the street can create very hazardous situations for line maintenance
folks, and power companies generally take a dim view of people winging
this sort of design. At the very least you'll need to use some
power-company-approved switchover device that locks out the generator
when
you're on street power.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Here's what I came up with:

120vac service lines 120vac
| |
| |
| | signal line
*------(coil A)------*--------------*
| | |
| | |
--- --- |
--- --- |
| A | A |
| | |
| | |
o--- house/barn -----o |
| | |
| | |
--- --- |
-/- -/- (coil B)
| B | B |
| | |
| | |
o-----generator------o ---
-
gnd

coil A 240vac contacts 200 amps N.O.
coil B 120vac contacts 100 amps N.C.

I don't need to turn the generator on right away. I just want to take
the
guesswork out of turning the main breaker on and off every time the
electric
goes out. Then I don't want to have to test if the power goes back on
and I
can't tell. With this arrangement I can save trips back and forth to the
house and barn. If this works when the power goes off all we need to do
is
go to the barn and fire up the generator.

I guess I could also add a generator kill switch off of coil B.

Let me know what you think.

Where do I find the relays?

Do you really thinK that the building inspector will let you connect
a home brew transfer switch to the grid?

The grid is home brew. Otherwise we wouldn't need a generator for power
outages. The question is if I'm going to let their incompetence ruin my own
grid... and they're not getting any of my electricity, either.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.