Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Sony Magnescale alignment procedure

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:06:40 -0500, Wes wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

One axis on my grinder readout is reading erratically and the symptoms
point to the pulse detection/shaping circuit being out of alignment.
The scale indicates approximately the proper distance travelled, but
only counts in one direction. In other words, move forward 1 inch and
the readout will indicate approximately 1.0000; move back to the
original position and instead of returning to 0.0000 it reads, more or
less, 2.0000.

I'm reading this with a bit of interest. My bridgeport has what I believe are
magnescales. They look old. Blue cold cathode display, some what dim, two joysticks for
zeroing, setting presets. Reads out to 0.0001" which is overkill on a mill.

Does this sound like your scales? Just curious, can't remember what model but I found
squat about it on the web and I'm pretty good at finding things. Not as good as Iggy,
that man is a wizzard from some of the stuff he has drug up.

Definitely a different readout. Mine's an LF-200 like these on guess
who's page:
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-1464.jpg.html

Yup. Different but I think I saw that style head on a height gage at work. Not sure it
is still in use.

This is the good scale, still on the grinder:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...gnescale00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...gnescale01.JPG

Mine don't look like that.

The pic I posted before is the end of the cable that plugs into the
readout, with its cover removed. I'm not sure that this
interface/connector was the only one used with these particular
scales. There may have been others for use with different readouts.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...caleHead01.jpg

Part of me wants it to die so I can buy a DRO with features, the other part of me is work
with it, more money in the toy budget.

Weren't you playing with Alibre a while ago? A good CAD package is
much handier than a full featured DRO, IMO. Though a midpoint function
and full keypad is nice.

I'm still using Alibre. Steep learning curve, my cad exprerience started at Autocad 2.6
and stayed 2d until last year. I plan to upgrade my level at the 1 year point when my
maintenance runs out. Motion, configurations, and sheetmetal could be handy. The
sheetmetal would be handy for projects at work. We turn, mill, have an an Amada cnc
turret press along with an Adira CNC press brake. Pretty sweet having the sheet metal
stuff when you want to make something out of sheet metal for in house use.

Drawing it using autocad, "not so much" as Latka would say.

The thing I crave is multiple origins. The mill at work, that has a much newer Sony scale
system, I indicate the right side of fixed jaw as co-ordinate set 1.

Depending on what I'm making and how many, having a few other origins programed is a time
saver.

Bolt circle, no problem, my palm pda has a program for that.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller