Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bloom Energy on 60 Minutes

On Feb 24, 11:01*am, George wrote:
On 2/24/2010 10:40 AM, wrote:

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:18:54 -0600, *wrote:

Your objections have been pretty much along the lines that fuel cells
couldn't work. Reality seems to disagree with you.

My objection is simply that there's much hype and little fact.

Fuel cells _do_ work; they aren't magic.

These are some novel concept that hasn't been documented as to how; what
is the energy and/or material balance, etc., etc., etc., ... *The
previous NASA-supported work from which these apparently evolved also
work; they're known but don't have anything close to the performance
claimed on this innovation.

Simply no solid data from which to judge just what level of innovation
is really present inside those unlabeled black boxes.

When that revelation of reproducible data occurs, _then_ they'll have
something (or not)...

Hydrogen Fuel cells are CURRENTLY installed and working successfully
in many places. Sure seems like there is plenty of reproducable data.

Of course there is and there is a very good reason why current fuel
cells are typically used on space craft etc and not much more. But this
thread is about magical fuel cells using unstated and unreviewed
technology.

The only thing we know about their *"magic fuel cells" at this point is
marketing hype. There is exactly nothing to form any sort of conclusion.
As soon as they produce data that can be peer reviewed they are in the
same class as the magic weight reduction pills or super oil additive or
whatever other "magical" thing is being hyped.

I think that is being a bit overly negative. They have passed a lot
more scrutiny than some company hyping diet pills, which typically has
NO scrutiny at all. Kleiner-Perkins is a well known venture capital
company that has backed some of the most successful startups in
history. Those include Sun, Amazon and Google. Before they hand
over $100mil, and knowing it's going to take another $300mil more, I
can assure you that they have done their due diligence. And with
their access to the best and brightest scientists and engineers, I
would be comfortable that it's a lot sounder than a diet pill scam.