Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default nitrogen gas in cans

On Feb 24, 7:44*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Nonny" wrote in message

If I were to install something in the kitchen and shop to spritz
nitrogen gas into a container before sealing it, I'd still
probably deflate the baggie before inserting the tube to reduce
the number of oxygen molecules inside the bag. *Then, after
inflating the bag with nitrogen, I'd then deflate it again
before sealing it. *That would get out a bunch more.

For paint in a can or (now) plastic container, I'd just close
the lid as far as possible over the tube, spritz it a bit to
purge as much air as I reasonably could, the slap the lid closed
as I withdrew the tube. *The number of oxygen molecules inside
the can is what causes the paint to scum over, as seen with the
difference between an almost full can lasting a long while vs.
an almost-empty can scumming over in a month or less. *IMHO, a
nitrogen purge of an almost-empty can would dramatically add to
its life on the shelf.

My current though revolves around using PEX-type tubing and
nitrogen from a cylinder regulated to about 10psi. *To dispense
it, I'd use a gun like this, or something similar.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...roduct_6970_36...
The cylinder would be in a closet or my garage, with the tubing
run inside the cabinets to the refrigerator, where about 4' of
tubing would just hang behind the refrigerator, with the gun in
a "holster" on the side.

Well, I've taken the next step and should be playing with Nitrogen
or Argon gas shortly. *I went online to eBay and bought a 40 cf
3000 psi cylinder, and separately, a pressure regulator with
barbed fitting for tubing. *I am going to HF and getting an air
blow gun like I already have and use in the shop for compressed
air. *It has a 1/4" NPT inlet, so I went online and found a metal
adapter to go from 1/4" NPT to 3/8" ID barbed. *I'll get the poly
tubing when I get the cylinder, fill it and start hooking things
up. *It should be fun.

I've not decided whether to fill first with Argon or Nitrogen.
Argon has some characteristics I like better than Nitrogen for
paint cans, but the Nitrogen would surely be cheaper and would
work fine for foods and almost as well for paint.

I'll post more as things develop.

--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. *If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter s rump year-round

Since the problem with paint is not oxidation or moisture. I dont
think it would help much. With food yes it would and does. Potato chip
bags are filled with nitrogen to blow up the bags to keep the chips
from getting crushed and to keep them fresh.

Jimmie