Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Sony Magnescale alignment procedure

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:06:40 -0500, Wes wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

One axis on my grinder readout is reading erratically and the symptoms
point to the pulse detection/shaping circuit being out of alignment.
The scale indicates approximately the proper distance travelled, but
only counts in one direction. In other words, move forward 1 inch and
the readout will indicate approximately 1.0000; move back to the
original position and instead of returning to 0.0000 it reads, more or
less, 2.0000.

I'm reading this with a bit of interest. My bridgeport has what I believe are
magnescales. They look old. Blue cold cathode display, some what dim, two joysticks for
zeroing, setting presets. Reads out to 0.0001" which is overkill on a mill.

Does this sound like your scales? Just curious, can't remember what model but I found
squat about it on the web and I'm pretty good at finding things. Not as good as Iggy,
that man is a wizzard from some of the stuff he has drug up.

Definitely a different readout. Mine's an LF-200 like these on guess
who's page:
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...-1464.jpg.html

This is the good scale, still on the grinder:
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...gnescale00.JPG
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...gnescale01.JPG

The pic I posted before is the end of the cable that plugs into the
readout, with its cover removed. I'm not sure that this
interface/connector was the only one used with these particular
scales. There may have been others for use with different readouts.
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...caleHead01.jpg

Part of me wants it to die so I can buy a DRO with features, the other part of me is work
with it, more money in the toy budget.

Weren't you playing with Alibre a while ago? A good CAD package is
much handier than a full featured DRO, IMO. Though a midpoint function
and full keypad is nice.

--
Ned Simmons