Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.design
Howard Eisenhauer[_2_] Howard Eisenhauer[_2_] is offline

Default generator problem

1st question- Is the existing wiring out to the barn up to the job?
i.e. how many amps is your genset capable of suplying- 60 amps through
#10 ain't gonna cut it.

2nd- how many amps is your service rated for & how many can the genset
supply? A 60 A feed into a 200A service means you're gonna be
manually flipping brakers off anyhow...

3rd- Is there a seperate main service dissconnect from your breker
panel? If not you'll have to add noe between the meter & panel if you
want the xfer swittch to feed th whole house

4th- how understanding is the carrier for your fire insurance?
Jerry-rigged transfer switches using non-approved parts aside if
there's any problems at all with *any* of your wiring (whether you
were the last one to touch that particular part or not) that causes a
fire you can probably kiss your coverage goodbye

Personally I'd go with a type approved manual transfer switch, with a
seperate feed coming to it from the generator, feeding a "essential
services" sub panel .

Remember- The Life You Save May Be Someone Else's.

H.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:34:25 -0500, "Jon"
wrote:

I'm trying to wire a transfer circuit for a generator.

The generator will be located in the barn. The electrical service is at the
house. Two 120vac wires and a ground go to the barn. There is *one* unused
wire from the house to the barn I can use for a signal circuit.

When the power goes off at the house, I need to disconnect the service to
prevent backfeed and activate for generator power to both the house and the
barn. When the service power goes on I need to disconnect the generator to
avoid damaging it and restore normal service to the house and the barn.

I have,

*one 240vac 60 amp dpdt mercury relay
*two 120vac 60 amp 3pdt relays.

Any ideas?