Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Basic Lathe questions

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:37:49 -0800 (PST), rich wrote:

Seems like I found the place where the turners live! This is
different than running a router or table saw!

I think I've been using dull tools. Never realized the length of
wood cut vs a plane or chisel. I have one of those little diamond
credit cards and will put it to use!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

If you learn to listen to the tool on the wood, you'll hear the difference when
your tool isn't as sharp as it started.. To me that's the key, don't let it get
"dull", when it's not SHARP anymore, sharpen it..

The credit card things are ok for skews and things, but I use a round, tapered
diamond hone constantly.. Gets right in the flute of a bowl gouge or the
fingernail grind on a roughing gouge..

I sharpen a gouge and use it right off the grinder un till it sounds like it's
asking for sharpening, then use the hone on the flute and go back to turning.. I
do this 2 or 3 times before it's time to go back to the grinder..
What I'm honing off is the burr.. use a gouge for a minute or two and then check
for a burr by lightly running a rag down the flute, from handle to edge..
If the rag snags at all, I home the flute..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing