Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default CNC Bridgeport with Heidenhein control

Karl Townsend wrote:

So, Karl, what would you (with your skills and all) do with this
bridgeport, would you just try to restore its Interact 2 controls?

If you're looking to make some money:

I'd part the machine out. The servos, scales, and head - sold separately -
will bring you about a 4:1 return.

If you want a CNC machine:

I'd spend a short fixed amount of time, say 2 days tops, trying to make the
old control run. It it works, great, but it won't last long. Either way,
start learning EMC2, you're used to linux so its your best bet.

Iggy, you're in the heart of a dying industrial machine town. You can find a
professional working CNC machine real cheap. IMHO, spend maybe 5K and get a
real CNC machine. Have Gunner tell you what to get.

Karl

I don't think Iggy has the space or desire for a full VMC for hobby
stuff. Even a small nice machine like a Mycenter 1 is pretty big
compared to the Bridgeport.