Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default nitrogen gas in cans

On Feb 24, 12:33*pm, "Nonny" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to
find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or
there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the
vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the
zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps
prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with
cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit
of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

Works even better if you use a soda straw.

DO NOT use a soda straw with paint!!!!!!!!!!!! *That's how I fell
in love with Sherwin Williams latex enamel. Grin

Doug, I'm replying to several posts via this reply to yours. *When
I use a zip-lock bag, I do like most have suggested and zip it
almost closed. *I then squeeze the bag to deflate it or use the
lip/mouth technique to get as much air out as possible.

While nitrogen is about 78% of air, what's important in a paint
can, baggie or Tupperware container is the ABSOLUTE amount of
oxygen. *That's why deflating the zip lock bag helps to preserve
foods, since while the 22% (yeah, I know that oxygen is slightly
less because of other gasses, but this is Usenet and you're
permitted to round off) oxygen to 78% nitrogen ratio stays the
same, there are physically fewer oxygen molecules inside the
baggie, paint can etc. to cause oxidation.

If I were to install something in the kitchen and shop to spritz
nitrogen gas into a container before sealing it, I'd still
probably deflate the baggie before inserting the tube to reduce
the number of oxygen molecules inside the bag. *Then, after
inflating the bag with nitrogen, I'd then deflate it again before
sealing it. *That would get out a bunch more.

For paint in a can or (now) plastic container, I'd just close the
lid as far as possible over the tube, spritz it a bit to purge as
much air as I reasonably could, the slap the lid closed as I
withdrew the tube. *The number of oxygen molecules inside the can
is what causes the paint to scum over, as seen with the difference
between an almost full can lasting a long while vs. an
almost-empty can scumming over in a month or less. *IMHO, a
nitrogen purge of an almost-empty can would dramatically add to
its life on the shelf.

My current though revolves around using PEX-type tubing and
nitrogen from a cylinder regulated to about 10psi. *To dispense
it, I'd use a gun like this, or something similar.http://www.northerntool..com/webapp/...roduct_6970_36...
The cylinder would be in a closet or my garage, with the tubing
run inside the cabinets to the refrigerator, where about 4' of
tubing would just hang behind the refrigerator, with the gun in a
"holster" on the side.
--
Nonny

Luxury cars now offer a great seating option for politicians.
These seats blow heated air onto their backside in the winter and
cooled air in the summer. *If sold to voters, though, the car
seats
are modified to just blow smoke up the voter�s rump year-round- Hide quoted text -

Better is get a small paint can-jar for leftovers, crapped up lids and
cans can make a seal impossible, cans rust, I use jars with good
sealing tops. Did you ever pick up an old can of paint and have the
paint fall out because the can rusted, I have.