Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default How many wires in a thermostat

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units
will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't
know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll
have.

How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on
that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C
combination?

Thanks!

It depends upon the equipment. If it's not a heat pump, and just a garden
variety furnace / ac unit, 4 wires is enough. Two thermostat wires will also
need to be run from the air handler to the condensing unit as well