Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Finish for yellow pine bowl

Jim - I would like to say "good luck" on turning that piece of
timber. I mean that sincerely. Turning that old stuff for me unless
it is something soft like cherry, isn't happening anymore.

Those old timbers (used for structural integrity) are probably white
oak or something similar (not red) if they have been there in service
that long and are still good enough to consider turning. If that is
the case, that wood is probably harder than pavement. They may also
be treated with one thing or another, so wear your mask for sure!

Good luck on that. I may well be that it is one of those things that
is actually worth the effort. Hope you let us know.

Robert