Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Default gas fires that have no flue

On Feb 24, 7:52*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 24, 5:39*am, "john hamilton" wrote:

B and Q are doing a selection of wall hung *flueless* gas fires.

We had those tv ads a while ago saying how dangerous your gas fire was if
the chimney was blocked. We are also warned about providing sufficent
ventilation for gas fires.

Would someone be able to explain to a novice what is happening to the
noxious fumes that we are warned about, when the gas fires is flueless?

You breathe them, You hope the Oxygen Depletion and your Co sensors
all work, you hope your house is loose enough to breath out the
poisons induced into your home, or you don`t worry or think and call
it the Flue if it affects you. But if you only run it a few hours a
day in a non super sealed house it should be ok. Like running the gas
oven or having all the stove burners on. I would not want one, there
is to much indoor pollution anyway in winter, in a garage for short
periods it would be ok, but Ng contains alot of water that will raise
the humidity where these are used.

Also, it depends on what you mean by gas fires. There are ventless
gas fireplaces that are not designed to provide heat, but mainly for
visual appeal. Consequently, I would think they would use less gas,
be less of a potential hazard and more common. Other units are
designed to actually provide heat. Some states do not allow them
because of safety concerns.

You need to do your own due diligence and figure out how comfortable
you are with whatever gas fire you are talking about.