Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default nitrogen gas in cans

Nonny wrote:
I wonder why some company doesn't begin to sell compressed nitrogen gas
in spray cans, complete with a tube as found on many lubricant cans.
For foods, a blast of Nitrogen into a zip lock baggie would help keep
food from oxidizing, while a blast into a paint can before resealing
might lengthen the storage life of the paint.

Am I wrong in my assumptions that it would do this?

Just adding nitrogen won't make much difference. You'd have to find some
way to suck out the normal-ratio air out at the same time, or there
would still be plenty of oxygen in there. Hence all the vacuum-baggie
food sealing machines. I find that manually deflating the zip-lock
baggie as I seal it (by careful folding and pushing) helps prolong the
time the food stays tolerable. Makes a big difference with cheese and
such. (Alright, I confess- I live alone, so I suck the last bit of air
out with my mouth, and dog down the zipper with my teeth.)

No good suggestions about the paint, other than the 'store it upside
down' idea. I seldom bother, but don't paint that often, and store the
latex paint in a heated basement, so I have never really had any
problems anyway.

--
aem sends...