Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Light band on laser printing

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
On 2/22/2010 10:27 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

Hold a magnetic compass nearby, should attract more than magnetised

iron, at
some point between toner hopper and OPC drum
I'm asuming there is a spring loaded cover to the toner that drops in

place
on removing. Hopefully there is an exposed pulley somewhere and turn

it back
and forth while holding the cartridge vertically and inverting as

well, just
one revolution each way may be enough. If not enough repeat more times

I just spun my 96A cartridge both ways. No toner was visible on the
selenium drum. Oddly, this is the first time I haven't seen any
visible toner. It usually dumps quite a bit everywhere. I have no
idea what's going on. Looking inside the cart at:
http://www.futuregraphicsllc.com/lit/tg/hp2100.pdf
I don't see anything that might cause this. Weird.

[snip]

While this discussion is getting interesting, and I hope it continues,
I'd like to report that I took my cartridge out and gave it a good
talking to. Spun it around (in several axes), slapped it upside its
little head a few times, spun it some more, then put it back in and
printed some pages. Whatever the problem was is now gone, so we can
safely conclude that the light band was caused by something inside the
cart. Maybe some toner clumped together?

- a Usenet "apology"

You can send toner cartridges by ordinary post so they must be able to take
all sorts of rattling in all attitudes without spillage.

For some reason , unknown to me, the iron filings are called "developer" in
the photocopier world, much the same mechanical process after latent image
generation as laser printer, except voltages are different.
Nothing ever beat the rotating magnet and filings for toner distribution
AFAIK.

my page on this sort of stuff
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/copiers.htm

--