Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Charlie Jones Charlie Jones is offline

Default Monkey Puzzle tree

Over here in the UK we occasionally get a chance to turn Monkey Puzzle. The
branches grow out from the trunk equi-spaced so that when it is turned the
knots are all at the same height. The only problem turning it is the amount
of resinous sap that adheres to your tools. I always have methylated spirit
(methanol) or ethanol to regularly clean the gouge.
Results..........Wonderful! As far as sycamore is concerned, we regard it as
a weed, but it makes for superb pierced or coloured forms. Good for
kithenware as well.

Woodturning, nature's answer to stress!

Charlie Jones

Oxford, UK

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Anybody here ever try turning wood from a Monkey Puzzle tree? Sycamore? I
have dibs on some wood from both and was wondering about any likely
problems.

TIA
--
Gerald Ross