Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Getting a Unisaw home

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:08:05 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:29:02 -0500, the infamous
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:08:58 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'm looking at a Unisaw on CL. I have a Dodge Ram pickup that can
handle the load but I have no idea how I'd get the thing into the bed
of the truck (just me & wife). The saw is not nearby and a bit of a
drive. I don't have access to a small trailer, although I guess I
could rent a U-Haul? Recommendations?

If the Unisaw has wheels, how about some 2x8 or 2x12 ramps and a small
hand winch attached to the front of the bed?

One person guides the saw on the raps, the other turns the winch
Harbor Freight has winches rated for 1000lb for about $25 and 1200lb
winches are about $30:
1000lb, wire rope

1200lb, strap

A block & tackle also works - 2000lb unit from Northern Tools:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_11839_11839

I've used a block & tackle and 2x8 ramps to get big yard equipment
in/out of my truck (42" riding mower, 28" snow blower).

I got Dina into and out of my truck with a comealong, a piece of
cardboard, and a pair of poly ropes. No big deal. She had casters,
so she wheeled right into the shop.

What did the piece of cardboard do?

She bellyboarded up the tailgate on it.

--
"Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt."
-- Clarence Darrow