Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Question re. antique auto restoration . . .

On Feb 21, 8:48*am, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
When "restoring" a vintage car how does one handle the ignition system? *It seems a more faithful
restoration would leave the original ignition components intact. *But, OTOH, switching to modern
solid state would be the best plan. *Please advise.

Bob Swinney

I built a small CD unit that is switched by the original points and
strapped that to the coil on my type III VW. Points last until the
rubbing block gives out, they're not as cheap as they used to be! If
I want/need to go back to original, like for static timing, the quick-
connects can be moved in seconds on the coil. Timing only changes as
the rubbing block wears, though. If I need to remove the whole unit,
it just takes a minute or two to remove the hose clamp holding it on.
Original cost was about $20 for the kit and $4-5 for the box and
mounting hardware. I don't see a downside here, other than if you're
the kind that actually lifts the hood on every car and expects a
factory-original and -condition engine. The worst part of any
restoration is replacing the old wiring, most is well beyond the
'crispy-critters' stage if it's even intact.

Stan