Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Covering Sewage w/lime

Frank wrote:
On 2/22/2010 9:17 AM, harry wrote:
On Feb 21, 8:49 pm, wrote:
On 2/21/2010 6:43 PM, harry wrote:

Hello,

Is there any difference between that huge, 50-lb bag of white, lime
powder, and the Nutralime pellets of limestone that comes in a
smallish 40lb bag for sprinkling on sewage spill?

Lime is calcium oxide, slaked lime is calcium hydroxide and limestone is
calcium carbonate. Not sure what difference it makes on sewage but pure
lime is the strongest, that is, contains the highest concentration of
alkali.

Hello,

So which one is the "Pure" : the Nutralime pellets, or the big, bag of
white, dusty stuff? I used to be able to purchase bags of pellet lime
(hydrated lime) that were white, but havenot seen them for 30
years . . . they were more expensive than the dusty powder. I wish
they would bring back the pellets of the white (allso "hydrated
lime"), because itis a lot erasier to work with than that dusty mess.

I see Nutralime is calcium carbonate. I've only done my lawn and use
calcium carbonate pellets because they are cheap and not dusty. I
suspect this product is more expensive than usual. Never having used
lime on sewage, I'm not sure if you need the stronger lime or slaked lime.

Yes, I'm thinking green instead of brown. ;-) I used powdered on sewage
once and it seemed to knock out the odor instantly. I guess that's a
vote for the cheap powdered stuff.