Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Light band on laser printing

On 2/22/2010 12:58 AM N_Cook spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...

On 2/22/2010 12:40 AM N_Cook spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...

My trusty HP 2100M printer is now printing with a definite
light band in one spot on each page. The cartridge is old
(bought new with the printer back in 19-ought-99) but doesn't
have that many pages on it (couple thousand). Turning the
cartridge to redistribute the toner doesn't fix the problem.

Diagnosis? I'm hoping a certain regular here who lives in "Surf City"
might answer ...

Get into the iron filings and redistibute along the drum, they've
got too packed in the one spot so not allowing toner to pass at
that point. Requires more than just shaking the cartridge as a
filings thing rather than toner thing

So what do I do, just shake the cartridge really hard?

Hold a magnetic compass nearby, should attract more than magnetised iron, at
some point between toner hopper and OPC drum
I'm asuming there is a spring loaded cover to the toner that drops in place
on removing. Hopefully there is an exposed pulley somewhere and turn it back
and forth while holding the cartridge vertically and inverting as well, just
one revolution each way may be enough. If not enough repeat more times

Interesting. Wouldn't mind a second opinion on this. What do you think,
Jeff?

- a Usenet "apology"