Posted to misc.consumers,uk.legal,uk.people.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Delivered unsafe item damaged me

Well first of all you need to inform trading standards, and also inform the
retailer, as they could be liable as well of course. Between them they ought
to be able to sort it. I suspect what will happen is that a nice printed
note will be put into the top of all packages telling the customer not to do
as you did!

Normally I've found that there is a kind of heavy duty plastic sheet of some
sort going down and under and up the other side capable of lifting the
item.
On very heavy items you are it appears encouraged by a little diagram to
dismantle the packaging in a certain way to avoid damage, though it does not
say whether the damage may occur to the item or to the customer!!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Last friday I took delivery at home of pressed steel kitchen gas hob from
a well known national department store.

After taking the top of the packaging off it, it then had to be lifted
out. There was nothing to get hold of apart from the gas tap knobs, but I
did not want to pull it out using these.

So I put my fingers underneath and lifted, but then received three deep
cuts along the back of three fingers.

Being pressed steel the edges were razor sharp because thats how metal is
if its been stamped and not finished off along the sheared edge with a
file.

This is annoying because this situation is likely to happen time and time
again to other people. Because how I lifted it out is probably the way
everybody else would try to lift it out.

How can I be sure of getting the manufacturers to act to stop this
happening again. The company is an Italian one, but I purchased it from a
U.K. store.

My collegue suggests I should request £100 to be sent to a charity, since
having to pay money might make them actually make them take notice and
then carry out the extra work on these units to stop this repeatedly
happening.

Thanks for any advice on how best to get them to make a charitable
contribution.