Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Light band on laser printing

On 2/21/2010 8:05 PM Jeff Liebermann spake thus:

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:03:56 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

My trusty HP 2100M printer is now printing with a definite light
band in one spot on each page. The cartridge is old (bought new
with the printer back in 19-ought-99) but doesn't have that many
pages on it (couple thousand). Turning the cartridge to
redistribute the toner doesn't fix the problem.

Diagnosis? I'm hoping a certain regular here who lives in "Surf
City" might answer ...

Light band in which direction? Lengthwise or widthwise on the paper?
Most likely, you need a new cartridge. Even on the shelf in a box,
the carts deteriorate. If you can't borrow a cartridge for testing,
then just buy a new one. However, if the line is lengthwise, it might
be something else, such as a piece of crud stuck in the laser scanner,
a burned out transfer film in the fuser, dirty scrubber in the fuser,
gouged toner drum, gouged fuser drum, etc. If you're not sure, tear
it apart and clean out the dust, dirt, and loose toner.

Also see:
http://www.FixYourOwnPrinter.com

Thanks. I shoulda said which direction: it's lengthwise, down the page
as it's printed. And it's not a sharply-defined light spot but a light
area, about 2 inches from the left edge and maybe 3/4" wide or so. It
prints in that area, but noticeably lighter.

So how much of the image-producing stuff is actually in the printer and
not in the cart?

I'll check out that DIY link now.

- a Usenet "apology"