Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Getting a Unisaw home

On Feb 21, 9:11*pm, RonB wrote:
We moved in '08 and you U-Haul idea is a good one. *We moved several
shop items including my 470 pound Grizzly 1023s and several other
tools using one of U-Hauls enclosed trailers (12' x 5' I believe with
at least 5' of interior height). *The trailer is built very close to
the ground, and has the waist-high tie-down rail, and it worked well.
I have a set of home-made 2x12 ramps with the metal add-on bottom &
tailgate ledge ends. *My neighbor helped my wife and I roll the saw up
onto the trailer. *On the other end, my wife, sister-in-law and I
easily, well fairly easily, got it off. *A few thoughts:

1) If you are buying from Craig's List ask if the seller can help you
get it loaded. *He is getting paid he should do more than stand and
watch. If he can come up with a neighbor, all the better.

2) If the saw is not on a mobile base you might want to consider
getting one. *It will be a hassle getting the saw on the base but
should be do-able. *Without a base it will be more difficult. *A fall
back would be a few lengths of pvc pipe to use as rollers but that can
be tricky, especially unloading.

3) If on a mobile base it might want to high-center when you start the
slope onto the ramps. *We actually had a little more trouble getting
it off of the trailer than on. *(Might have something to do with the
25 year old helper on one end and a spry 69 year old helper on the
unload end:^} *).

4) Dis-assemble as much as you can. *On my saw the fence alone is
about 30+ pounds. *Take wrenches and remove the tables if needed. *It
only takes a few moments and probably drops the weight by 50-60
pounds. You will likely take the fence rails off too. (We were able to
move mine, on the mobile base, with the table attached.

5) The come-alone previously mentioned might help control it on the
down slide (especially if you used pipe rollers)

Main advice. *Don't get in a hurry. *Look the situation over and be
careful and methodical. It is do-able.

Sonny must have posted just ahead of me. the PVC pipe works. We
moved a 800# gun safe and a 600# fireplace insert using the pipes.
Just tip the saw back and slide the first one under; then balance it
while rolling onto another. Then roll it onto a third and swap out
from there.

Just remember one thing.....

TOP heavy.

RonB