Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Getting a Unisaw home

We moved in '08 and you U-Haul idea is a good one. We moved several
shop items including my 470 pound Grizzly 1023s and several other
tools using one of U-Hauls enclosed trailers (12' x 5' I believe with
at least 5' of interior height). The trailer is built very close to
the ground, and has the waist-high tie-down rail, and it worked well.
I have a set of home-made 2x12 ramps with the metal add-on bottom &
tailgate ledge ends. My neighbor helped my wife and I roll the saw up
onto the trailer. On the other end, my wife, sister-in-law and I
easily, well fairly easily, got it off. A few thoughts:

1) If you are buying from Craig's List ask if the seller can help you
get it loaded. He is getting paid he should do more than stand and
watch. If he can come up with a neighbor, all the better.

2) If the saw is not on a mobile base you might want to consider
getting one. It will be a hassle getting the saw on the base but
should be do-able. Without a base it will be more difficult. A fall
back would be a few lengths of pvc pipe to use as rollers but that can
be tricky, especially unloading.

3) If on a mobile base it might want to high-center when you start the
slope onto the ramps. We actually had a little more trouble getting
it off of the trailer than on. (Might have something to do with the
25 year old helper on one end and a spry 69 year old helper on the
unload end:^} ).

4) Dis-assemble as much as you can. On my saw the fence alone is
about 30+ pounds. Take wrenches and remove the tables if needed. It
only takes a few moments and probably drops the weight by 50-60
pounds. You will likely take the fence rails off too. (We were able to
move mine, on the mobile base, with the table attached.

5) The come-alone previously mentioned might help control it on the
down slide (especially if you used pipe rollers)

Main advice. Don't get in a hurry. Look the situation over and be
careful and methodical. It is do-able.