Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Drilling hole in Quartz Countertop

On 2/21/2010 3:53 PM, mook johnson wrote:
"Existential wrote in message
"mook wrote in message
What is the best drill bit to use to drill a 1/2" hole in a quartz
countertop? It might need to drill throug the sink (iron) as well.

They make drills just for glass, where the rake and angles minimize
chipping.
You'd proly be best off just switching to regular HSS drill for the sink,
which may or may not have trouble with any porcelain coatings, but it
should get through. Do *not* use oil when drilling cast iron.

Quartz ountertop??? Sound nice, exotic. What color? Where do you get
these?
--
EA

thanks.

Its what the builder called Zero Maintenance granite. Its made by a company
named Avanza. A similar product is Silstone.
Its an engineered stone with a quartz base. Has the look of granite with
excellent stain resistance with no need to seal.

I'm trying to add a filtered water spigot but have put it off for years
because I didn't want to mess with drilling this stuff.
The boss is REALLY ready for one now because she HATES the PUR filters on
the water faucet.

Time to dive in.

Engineered stone, to me, means that it is stone in plastic and probably
similar to Corian where you can google up stuff like this with specific
directions:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...ingcorian.html