Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Getting a Unisaw home

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:35:05 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/21/2010 3:08 PM, wrote:
I'm looking at a Unisaw on CL. I have a Dodge Ram pickup that can
handle the load but I have no idea how I’d get the thing into the bed
of the truck (just me& wife). The saw is not nearby and a bit of a
drive. I don’t have access to a small trailer, although I guess I
could rent a U-Haul? Recommendations?

1. Rent a pickup with a Tommy-lift gate for the day.
2. If it doesn't have a mobile base, buy, or rig one.

AAMOF, mine was delivered new, fully assembled and the guy had it off
the pickup equipped with the lift, and at the shop door before I got it
unlocked.

Mine has a mobile base, and 52" fence and extension table.

I've moved it twice in the two years, fully assembled, by renting a
truck with a Tommy Lift on the back ... $50/day and $5 worth of fuel.

A second person comes in handy to operate the lift while the other
person just steadies it on the lift on the trip up. Even easier if it is
only the cabinet saw itself, without the extension table.

If it has an extension table and mobile base, simply let the extension
table dangle off the back of the Tommy-lift, with the cabinet assembly
on the lift itself, and steady the extension table on the short trip up,
then roll into the bed.

Three moves in 8 years and it stayed dead on in spec all three times.

You will not believe how much easier and less time consuming that is
than dis-assembly, re-assembly, followed by the long, tedious setup
process ...

Probably the best $50 you'll spend, beats popping your back out.

Mike M