Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Ivan Vegvary[_2_] is offline

Default Question re. antique auto restoration . . .

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message
When "restoring" a vintage car how does one handle the ignition system?
It seems a more faithful
restoration would leave the original ignition components intact. But,
OTOH, switching to modern
solid state would be the best plan. Please advise.

Bob Swinney

Bob,
I have a 1948 (driver) and a 1952 (under restoration) Pontiac. The only
changes I have made is to install a 12 volt battery along with a 12 volt
coil and a "one wire" Chevy alternator. Of course I kept all of the old
parts. The coil and the battery look the same as the originals. And, I
also did install an updated radio into the 1948. It sits under the dash
(under the existing radio) and has a remote control. It can be removed
within a few minutes.
I don't know why I would want an electronic ignition? Would my straight 8
cylinder motor know the difference?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary