Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Legal question? ? ?

On Feb 20, 8:51*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:38:15 -0500, "Ray"

wrote:
This is essentially a legal question -- if there are any lawyers out there
on alt.home.repair

I live in a six-unit coop apartment. About a year ago we converted our
furnace from oil to natural gas. This required installation of a new gas
meter.

Almost at once it was evident that we were being significantly under-billed
for our gas service. It also became clear that the gas company's meter
readings on the bill did not correspond to those on the meter itself. *Our
billings were wildly erratic. For instance, the billing for January, one of
the coldest months on record, was half the billing for December, which was a
relatively warm month.

We called, and then wrote the gas company, and each time we were assured all
was right. *We have had at least six contacts with the gas company over this
issue.

We estimate that our gas heating costs for 2009 came in about one-third of
what we were expecting -- and budgeting.

So my question is, what if this situation continues for several years, and
then the gas company discovers a reading error and hits us for a bill for
thousands of dollars?

What is our legal obligation under such a scenario?

I'm guessing that as a practical matter, the issue would be resolved through
negotiated settlement.

Why dont you believe the gas company in that "all is right?" * Some
reason to not trust the gas company? *

I'd say that his visual reading of the meter giving a usage that is 3X
that of the gas company and the gas company being unable to explain it
is reason enough.

If you owe a large sum they
will most likely work it out over a time period to fit your budget
with carrying charges added. *

How about they come looking for the money 5 years from now after 2 of
the 4 units in the building which has one common gas meter for heating
have changed hands? Who's gonna pay then?

With your scenario there may be a class
action law suit. *

I seriously doubt a condo type situation with 4 units qualifies as a
class action lawsuit.

The real trouble begins when you don't pay your gas
bill "in full" when it is due. * I find natural gas a real bargain.- Hide quoted text -