Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the trick to replacing rechargeable batteries please?

Nicad chargers do not generally have temperature sensors, unless
they're built into the battery pack. Furthermore, a NiMH cell can
tolerate higher temperatures than a nicad so, again, a charger
designed for nicads is likely to shut off too soon rather than too later.

** What an utterly STUPID non sequitur !!!

Why don't you think before yelling?

NiMH cells can be rather brutally charged without damaging them, at a rate
that most nicads would not tolerate. (MAHA recommends at least 0.5C for its
NiMH cells, but I grew up with nicads, so I tend to set the charger between
0.2C and 0.4C.) Thus, the temperature sensor in a NiMH charger is likely to
be set higher than in a nicad charger. Placing NiMH cells in such a charger
will likely lead to undercharging the cell, rather than blowing it up.

I worked for several months at Microsoft Hardware. One of my projects
was documenting Microsoft's rapid charger for its cordless mice. Though
nicad and NiMH cells are more alike than different, the latter are

usually
pushed to higher charging cut-off voltages and temperatures. A nicad
charger is not likely to damage NiMH cells.

Chargers that are looking for the battery voltage to peak then come
DOWN will NEVER stop if NiMH cells are being used instead of NiCd.

Again, you have it backwards. Perhaps, you brainless ignoramus, you might
like to discuss this with the engineers I worked with.

You're an object lesson in the dangers of discussing something before being
certain you're sure you know what you're talking about, in "open mouth,
insert foot".