Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Choice of wood for cutting board

"blueman" wrote in message
I am looking to build a cutting board (for bread) which I want to make
out of a subway-tile like arrangement of dark wood blocks with some
light wood picture framing the board and for creating some letters.

The choice of wood should be hard (to minimize wear-and-tear from
the knife) and should be otherwise appropriate for cutting board use.

I would like to mix several choices of dark wood to add variety and
interest to the background and probably a single species for the light
wood framing and lettering.

For the light wood, I was thinking of using maple but am open to other
suggestions.
I am not sure though what would be good choices for the dark wood and
would appreciate your input...

Thanks

Most any hard tight grained wood is good. I've used maple, walnut, and
cherry to get a contrasting pattern. Stay way from ash or red oak. Careful
mixing several species on one item. Fine line between fine art and gaudy.