Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell Question

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:44:23 -0800, Kate wrote:

My home is 11 years old, and it came with a battery-operated doorbell
which has worked great, but now it needs replacing.

I noticed when I took the old push button off by the front door that
there is a red and a white wire behind the button. Does this mean the
house is wired for a wired doorbell? The back door area has the same
colored wires.

I cannot find any place where I would install the box inside. I have
checked all closets, etc.

Can anyone tell me if these wires are indeed for a wired doorbell, and
where the inside wires would be for the box?

I hope I explained this fairly well.

Thanks.

Kate

A little detective work is in order to locate the transformer
location. Having both front and back already wired is a good
thing--dump the batteries!