Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Legal question? ? ?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:38:15 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

This is essentially a legal question -- if there are any lawyers out there
on alt.home.repair

I live in a six-unit coop apartment. About a year ago we converted our
furnace from oil to natural gas. This required installation of a new gas
meter.

Almost at once it was evident that we were being significantly under-billed
for our gas service. It also became clear that the gas company's meter
readings on the bill did not correspond to those on the meter itself. Our
billings were wildly erratic. For instance, the billing for January, one of
the coldest months on record, was half the billing for December, which was a
relatively warm month.

We called, and then wrote the gas company, and each time we were assured all
was right. We have had at least six contacts with the gas company over this
issue.

We estimate that our gas heating costs for 2009 came in about one-third of
what we were expecting -- and budgeting.

So my question is, what if this situation continues for several years, and
then the gas company discovers a reading error and hits us for a bill for
thousands of dollars?

What is our legal obligation under such a scenario?

I'm guessing that as a practical matter, the issue would be resolved through
negotiated settlement.

Why dont you believe the gas company in that "all is right?" Some
reason to not trust the gas company? If you owe a large sum they
will most likely work it out over a time period to fit your budget
with carrying charges added. With your scenario there may be a class
action law suit. The real trouble begins when you don't pay your gas
bill "in full" when it is due. I find natural gas a real bargain.