Posted to free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
Heliotrope Smith[_2_] Heliotrope Smith[_2_] is offline

Default Two different ends of the gas elbow

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 2/19/2010 2:48 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

In the US, where I am. Natural gas is a low enough
presure, that the folks I work with coat the
external (male) threads with a bit of Rectorseal
#5. We do not use teflon tape on gas threads.

Who is this "we" of whom you speak?

Honestly, every plumber I know uses teflon tape. I know there's other
stuff available, and I'm sure it works, but were does this stuff come
from all of a sudden that "nobody used teflon tape"?

Hell, use old-fashioned pipe dope for that matter. It all works.

And another thing: what's the big deal about the "correct" tape for
gas (the yellow stuff)? Again, maybe it's better, but everywhere I go
I see white tape on joints in gas piping. And none of it leaks.

Not sure if you are refering to states side or not but here in Britain
the "yellow" tape refers to the colour of reel. The gas tape is white
but much thicker than the water MDFE tape and the regulations permit
only a single wrap of tape on the gas threads whilst between 10 and 20
turns is not uncommon on water threads.

"Old fashioned (gas) pipe dope" is widely used but may not be used in
conjunction with tape.