Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default Outdoor Radon is the problem..

john wrote:
thanks for the replies , guys..

You can check the calibration of your meter, maybe all the reading
are hight... What kind of meter do you have?
Mark

I'm using a SafetySiren Pro Series 3 Radon Detector... Even though
its relatively inexpensive. (under $200) It was very close to the
mailed in readings done with the charcoal detector. (on more than 1
occasion too)
Even though the max outdoor readings were only between 4.0 & 6.0 , I
didn't both calling the Local Health Authorities or whatever... If
it was like 20.0...than yeah.. I would think something was up with
the soil.
I gotta do more testing in the spring to make sure... I may even do a
mailed in charcoal reading and keep the thing outside the whole
time...I guess then I'll know for sure.

But I remember when I used to live in Jersey, they would sometimes
close down certain areas because of unusually high levels of Radon in
the ground. Like what causes those kinds of situations ? People
dump stuff in the ground? or is it naturally occuring ?

I've got Radiant Heating here too ...and they think I have more than
1 slab....1 for the garage area...and another 1 for the house. (garage is
connected to the house...but they still think there's 2
slabs total ) so basically nobody around here even wants to touch
it. I'm trying to find someone that goes the 'under the
foundation' route...with an outdoor fan..but nobody does that
either...around here. (Poconos area)

Don't panic. Radon is the latest scare after asbestos, DDT et al. It is an
issue, but not too big. Companies are getting fat winding the gullible.