Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is the trick to replacing rechargeable batteries please?

"William Sommer******"

Nicad chargers do not generally have temperature sensors, unless they're
built into the battery pack. Furthermore, a NiMH cell can tolerate higher
temperatures than a nicad so, again, a charger designed for nicads is
likely
to shut off too soon rather than too later.

** What an utterly STUPID non sequitur !!!

I worked for several months at Microsoft Hardware. One of my projects was
documenting Microsoft's rapid charger for its cordless mice. Though nicad
and NiMH cells are more alike than different, the latter are usually
pushed
to higher charging cut-off voltages and temperatures. A nicad charger is
not
likely to damage NiMH cells.

Chargers that are looking for the battery voltage to peak then come DOWN
will NEVER stop if NiMH cells are being used instead of NiCd.

...... Phil