Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Drop in December new-home sales fuels concern over recent gains US economy grows at fastest rate in 6 years

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:30:23 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
I can't follow the cost issues on those PEM fuel cells. They've been used in
military and space applications since the mid-'60s. One time I hear tens of
thousands of dollars, and the next time they're building a scooter that's
"just a bit more expensive" than the gas-powered equivalent. Maybe that's
why they're saying production starts in 2015 -- they're trying to get the
cost down.

snip
And this from Mercedes
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ug-in-hybrid/1
Feb 20, 2010
Mercedes-Benz F800 pairs hydrogen fuel cell and plug-in hybrid
snip
That means the F800 Style can travel for 18 miles on electric
power alone after being plugged in overnight -- and when it runs
out of juice it can cruise for another 375 miles on hydrogen. The
result: no emissions.
snip
-----------------
Anyone know if it is cost/emissions to burn hydrogen rather than
gasoline/diesel when the current processes to generate the
hydrogen is considered? Water electrolysis using wind/tide/wave
generated power would be emissions effective but the cost?

Still no magic [carpet] solution...

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).